Friday, November 6, 2009

Dancing Bears

Is it possible to love your pet too much?

I posed this question to Justin last night after a trip to Target resulted in a Halloween costume and a Christmas sweater for Kevin. I never thought I would be the kind of pet owner who dressed up their animal. Wait, I take that back. I dressed up bull frogs in doll clothes when I was little. But that was just for fun. Kevin in a sweater- well, that's just adorable. I'm not about to run out and buy little booties and a rain coat for Kevin. (But again, he'd be adorable.) He is an animal after all, and animals don't wear clothes.

But that poses the question: Aren't we animals? We wear clothes. And not always for practical purposes, like staying warm when it's cold. Clothing has become a statement about who you are, what you like, etc. I suppose we could make a case that Kevin is expressing his individuality by wearing a sweater with dancing bears, but I imagine people might have a problem with that. Just you wait until you get our Christmas card this year with Kevin in his little sweater! You'll see how cute he is and why we had to do it!

No comments: