Thursday, April 16, 2009

Soapfest Wrap-Up

Soapfest was a hit!

When we got back from Haiti, I wanted to do something tangible- something to get people involved. I threw my very own Soapfest to get my friends, family and co-workers involved. I was asked by my boss not to be pushy with people at work. Me? Pushy??
I behaved myself, and my Soapfest box in the office filled up several times. In fact, all the donations from work filled an 18-gallon tub! Additional donations from family and friends filled another two boxes, plus peanut butter and school supplies to boot! I brought all the supplies to Carole and Carl's home on Monday, only to find I miss it. The clean, cool smell of soap permeating my home, my office, my car. It was like an instant air freshener that also brought back warm memories of Haiti and House of Hope.
It's important to do things to help, but you can't forget why you're doing those things.
The hygiene kits being assembled from the collected items will be given to people in the community who can't afford those basic necessities. Can you imagine? I could easily go on a short rant about how lucky we are and how much we take for granted, but let's end on a positive note: Thank you to all who helped contribute to Soapfest- I could not have done it without you!

No comments: